Referral Process


You can refer a youth to the Essex County Diversion Programs any of the below ways:

  • Fill out the online form below
  • Complete and submit a referral form (in Word). Referral forms can be faxed to 519-253-6476 or emailed to
  • Call the Youth Outreach Staff at (519) 253-3340 and have a referral form completed over the phone.
  • Client Information

  • Date of Birth:
  • Please enter a number from 1 to 31.
  • Referral Source

  • Referral to Programs

  • Reason for Referral


Referral Process

Upon receiving the referral, the youth and parents will be contacted to set up an intake appointment.  During the initial meeting the Outreach Staff will go over each of the program descriptions and recommend which programs would be most fitting to a youth’s needs based on the assessment and referral information.  This is a voluntary program and therefore, youth must be willing to participate in order to enroll.

Referrals from Police and Courts

Youth Diversion continues to accept referrals from Police and Courts for extrajudicial measures and extrajudicial sanctions.  There are, however, some important differences. Since the introduction of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, (YCJA), the terminology has changed, from Alternative Measures to Extrajudicial Measures and Sanctions. Extrajudicial Measures are broader than Alternative Measures, including police warnings, cautions and referrals and Crown caution programs as well as traditional diversion programs. Extrajudicial Sanctions (EJS) are one type of Extrajudicial Measure. Section 4(c) establishes the presumption that police and the Crown should respond outside the courts to young persons with no records and are alleged to have committed non-violent offences. Section 4(d) emphasizes that Extrajudicial Measures can be used more than once and that youth who have earlier been found guilty of an offence can be eligible for EJS.

Please contact Joanna Conrad, Executive Director, at (519) 253-3340 ext. 225 or regarding information on how to refer a young person to Youth Diversion.